Manhwa Gets No Love?

Posted on 10:23 PM by AnimeFansFTW.com | 4 comments

AvatarBefore I get into the topic of this post, I want to talk about manga for people who have no idea as to what is it. Manga consists of comic books, which most anime are adapted from. Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece have manga that are more close to the storyline than their anime, as sometimes anime series tend to have spin-offs. So right now their manga adaptations are much further in the storyline than anime. That's the gist of it.

I know I'm not the only one who's pissed that manhwa like Veritas doesn't have an anime yet. Some of you probably don't even know what manhwa is. Well it's basically Korean manga, but it kicks just as much ass as its Japanese counterpart. I mentioned Veritas for a reason, because it's probably the most popular manhwa out there. Then again, I'm not looking at statistics or anything so I could be completely wrong. Most manga readers that I encounter have heard about Veritas so it seems appropriate. Now I'm seriously wondering, why is there no manhwa anime?

Now if you googled "manhwa anime" just now or even before you've read this sentence, you're cheating. There is a manga called Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master) which is written and illustrated by Korean artists, but it was published in Japan so it's considered to be manga. It does have an anime movie and it's pretty good. The art, plot, and theme are all worth checking out. I can't say that I know all about manhwa but I've encountered three that have piqued my interest. Veritas, Jack Frost, and The Breaker are manhwa that definitely deserve some recognition. Of course, I love action and all three of those manhwa provide a large amount of it.

Everything has a flaw, and manhwa has at least one in my opinion. The names of characters are annoying. They're obviously Korean names and I have no problem with that, but when almost every name sounds almost the same it can get really confusing. I usually have to read a manhwa and not care about the name of most characters because they might sound similar to another name which will eventually get me confused. I probably wouldn't care if I actually knew the pronunciation of these names, but without anime or some form of animation to go with it I have nothing that I can use to actually know how to say them.

I can't say that all manhwa don't have an anime series. Some probably do, but not much. One reason could be because most of them aren't really popularized outside of Japan. As manga's popularity grows internationally, manhwa will probably do the same. Hopefully it'll be soon, because I want to see Gangryong punch someone through a wall in high definition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well there is a Twilight manwha, its pretty good

fajitsforme said...

As the person who basically introduced Manhwa to our group, I gotta say that I completely agree. I understand that it is korean but credit where credit is due. Among other things, the illustrations in Veritas/The Breaker are just top notch. I have not seen a manga shaded/styled in such a detailed manner before. It is just epic.

I agree that the names are hard, especially in the Breaker, they are all traditional. Atleast in Veritas we have Lightning Tiger, Fire Dragon, Earth Beast, Rud, and some other easier names. Breaker doesn't even go to that extent.

If Veritas was made into an anime it would be epic. End of Story. There is nothing about it that wouldn't make it into a popular anime. If HDSK can make it, there is no way Veritas couldn't.

Michelle Pendlelton said...

Thanks for the brief info on Manga! I wasn't too aware of that, actually. But now, I'm hooked on watching animé movies, 'coz of their impressive storylines. I bet Mangas are going to fascinate me, too!

Unknown said...

hey does this blog have anything to do with animefansftw.com?

Post a Comment

Labels

anime (1) animefansftw (1) fans (1) rating (1) review (1) summary (1)

Views